Your Cincinnati Residential Mover helps you prepare your kids and reduce the stress of your family’s move.
Moving is stressful on everyone. However, moving with a family can be even more so. You may be concerned about how to deal with your kids when you move, especially young kids. Moving with toddlers can be especially difficult, but even older kids might be nervous or overwhelmed by the move. We have gathered some helpful tips that you can apply your family that will help with the moving process from start to finish.
- Get Your Kids Used to the Idea of Moving. This applies especially to sensitive or very young kids, who may not deal with change well. Talk to your kids about the move as soon as you know you are going to move. Reassure them that none of their things will be left behind. Another way to get them used the idea is to read them books about moving. There are a lot of children’s stories our there that can help children understand. Check one out at the library or bookstore in the weeks leading up the move.
- Visit the New Home with Your Kids. Let your kids see what the house looks like in person or with photos, especially what their bedrooms look like. Doing this before the move can get them excited about the move instead of anxious.
- Finish Your Kids’ Projects Before You Move. If your kids have been working on crafts or puzzles for a while, be sure to have them finished and pack them up before you move. Leaving them to the last minute might result in missing or lost parts or pieces, which won’t make your kids very happy. This applies to any personal projects you may have too.
- Start Packing Early. You may have events to attend for you or your kids right up until the move date along with all the other essential moving tasks, so it helps to be prepared. Start packing several weeks ahead of time and devote a little time each day.
Save some money and reduce the stress by using Leaders’ Box Loan program. Buy our moving boxes and we will refund 80% of the cost when you return them!
- Consider Letting Your Kids Help Pack. For some kids packing up their things can be upsetting, but for others it might help them feel more involved. Determine what is best for your family.
If letting things go is too difficult for your kids, consider using packing services provided by your mover. At Leaders Moving, we can pack up your things the day of or day before your move depending on how much you need to pack.
- Protect Your Kids’ Toys with Plastic Wrap. Buy some of the extra large plastic wrap at the store and use it to protect bulky or oddly shaped toys. You can even wrap a few toys together. This is a unique packing tip to prevent them from getting dirty or broken on the trip.
- Pack an Essentials Suitcase. You can pack one suitcase for the whole family or have your kids pack their own. Pack it like you would if you were going to a hotel; toothbrushes, a few changes of clothes, hygiene products, etc. Take your suitcase(s) with you in your car and you won’t have to unpack boxes right away when you get to your new place.
- Ask a Relative, Friend, or Babysitter to Take Care of Your Kids on Move Day. At Leaders Moving, we recommend getting a babysitter not only to reduce the hassle, but to keep everyone safe. Having kids running around the house and getting in the way of movers is dangerous for the movers and your children.
- Set Up the Kids’ Rooms First. When you get to your new home, settle your kid’s into their new bedroom to make them comfortable. Making sure their bed and favorite things are unpacked and ready in their room will make things go a lot smoother.
- Get Your Kids to Help You Unpack. While packing their things up might not be easy for kids, unpacking will be a hit! Kids will want to have their favorite things unpacked first, so get them involved. Giving them something to do will also relieve the stress on you from an exhausting day.
Call a Trusted Cincinnati Mover to Move Your Family
Leaders Moving & Storage has been in business for over 22 years. We’re a leader in residential moves throughout the Midwest. Our experienced move coordinators can give you some of the best tips to help your prepare your family to move. Give us a call at (513) 268-4315 or get an online quote now to get the process started.
Follow us on social media for more tips: